Little Piney Creek - Soils along this creek are Sequatchie and Pickwick. Photo courtesy of: Johnson County Historical Society
Registered angus ... grazing on a permanent pasture ... and Ladino clover established on ... cropland. SCS assisted this ... who is a cooperator in the Johnson County S&WCD with complete ... and water conservation plans ... entire farm. (portion of description missing on photo) Photo courtesy of: Johnson County Historical Society
Johnson County was established in 1833 in the Northwest region of the state of Arkansas. The county got its name from the first Territorial Judge of Arkansas, Judge Benjamin Johnson. Johnson County covers over 650 square miles and has a population of 26,141 (U.S. Census, 2015.)
Clarksville has been the county seat since 1837 when land was donated to the county by Josiah Cravens. Before then, the county seat was located on the Arkansas River in the town of Spadra at the home of one of the pioneers of the county, Elijah Alston.
The county offers many natural characteristics, including thickly forested landscape, streams, rivers, and lowland bottom lands. Some of the more notable of these features include a portion of the Boston and Mulberry Mountains, the Ozark-St. Francis National Forest, and the creeks/rivers: Horsehead, Little Piney, Mulberry, Spadra, Arkansas, and Big Piney. Within our county can be found twenty-eight locations listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including a Missouri-Pacific depot in Clarksville; the McKennon House, designed by architect Charles L. Thompson; and the Big Piney Creek Bridge (Koenig, 2013)
The Univeristy of the Ozarks is a Liberal Arts Presbyterian university located in Clarksville, and has a rich history of its own. Originally known as Arkansas Cumberland College, it opened its doors on September 7, 1891. The name was later changed to the College of the Ozarks (1920) and held this name until 1987 when it became the University of the Ozarks.
The county has a rich agricultural history as well. Originally, cotton was the primary crop, but later fruit crops became the most prominent agriculture in the county. Some of these crops include apples, peaches, and pears. Today you can still find orchards of apples and peaches that are family run and open for the public to get fresh fruit from the trees for a nominal charge.
Grapes planted in straight rows to facilitate harvesting with mechanical pickers on the University of Arkansas Branch Experiment Station north of Clarksville. (Date: 7/23/1968) Photo courtesy of: Johnson County Historical Society
Angus cattle grazing on a Bermuda grass pasture and using a recently constructed farm pond. Howard Gray, Jr., the landowner, is a cooperator of the district and was assisted by SCS technicians in the conservation plan on this farm. (Date: 5-7-1965; 3 1/2 miles NE of Clarksville.) Photo courtesy of Johnson County Historical Society
Roadrunner with lizard. Photo courtesy of: Johnson County Historical Society
The History of Johnson county